Sunday, May 17, 2009

Progress

Taking a look back on this year, I can say I learned a lot about myself. Most of this, however, I really discovered in the past couple months. Either that, or I just really didn't spend much time reflecting until recently.. take your pick. 
I won't list out everything that I've picked up along the way this past year.. instead, I'll just discuss one thing that I think is worth noting. I read this poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson once (and by once, I mean plenty of times) that really spoke to me. Part of it goes like this..

"Rhodora! if the sages ask thee why
This charm is wasted on the earth and sky,
Tell them, dear, that, if eyes were made for seeing,
Then beauty is its own excuse for Being."


Now I'm not the best when it comes to poetry, but I think I understand now what he may have meant by these words.. and how I could use these words in my own life. There are times when I may have spent too much time thinking; so much time that I may have let opportunities pass me by. Believe me, I know that it is important to think and reflect on your decisions daily, but too much of a good thing can sometimes be a bad thing. And just as a man should appreciate natural beauty for what it is, it's time that I really embrace who I am and do what makes me happy. 

So...aside from the economics, the physics and the Italian diction, that is what I learned this year. 

Progress? ...Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment